"Institute" shall have the following aims and objectives:
- To undertake, promote and encourage various levels of long term original research, education and training in pure and applied seismology. The focus can be on developing earthquake system science to understand origins, properties and consequences of earthquakes.
- To develop new knowledge based techniques of probabilistic earthquake forecasting, micro and macro zoning of various vulnerable zones. There should be survey of earthquake science in India from ancient times to the present day.
- To undertake earthquake monitoring through standardized surface, ocean bottom and satellite observations. The use of modern digital technology in establishment of regional seismic networks including strong motion instruments, data acquisition and dissemination by exchange of catalogues, databases and bulletins from various sources.
- To undertake development and deployment of broadband seismometers, GPS surveys, gravimeters, strain gauges, boreholes, ocean-bottom seismometers and remote sensing information from earthquake zones, laboratory apparatus for investigating fault friction and means for simulation of massive streams of observation should be evolved.
- To undertake research in Earthquake Mechanics and Engineering for development of new concepts, new algorithms and numerical simulation of geological structures. The chaotic nature of brittle deformation and detection of various kinds of precursory signals.
- To use multidisciplinary development in geological, geodetic, archaeological, physical and mathematical sciences, geo-chronological and paleo-seismic studies for understanding a seismic-tectonic framework under plate tectonics theory and non linear dynamics. The approach would be for accurate fault characterization, global and regional forecasting, fault system dynamics, earthquake source physics and ground motion prediction.
- To undertake application of high performance computational seismology, modeling and interpretations, including use of artificial intelligence tools for visualization of earth processes, delineating hydrocarbon reservoirs and other resources for sustainable development.
- To study and make recommendations relating to reduction of earthquake losses, use sound disaster mitigation policy and practices. Application in pre-earthquake and post-earthquake scenarios including modeling of socioeconomic impacts can help in seismic hazard studies, site effects and seismic event analysis among other things. There is a need to improve seismic safety and performance in build environment especially in highly vulnerable urban areas.
- To organize workshops/seminars/conferences in pure and exploration seismology and publish research papers, books, journals, periodicals, newsletters, leaflets devoted to seismology.
- To pursue multi-institutional collaboration and participation in similar programs of advances institutions in related areas.
- To undertake steps and efforts to communicate earthquake science to engineers and use the knowledge base for creating public awareness by various methods in modern communication and media methodologies in society.
- To evolve and participate in the development of seismic policies, seismology syllabus in academic institutions, study tours at regional, national and international organizations so as to develop quantitative understanding of limits of earthquake predictability and explain concerns to public institutions.
- To develop and establish mechanisms for research, training and collaboration with national and international organizations in related fields.
- To award relevant senior/junior fellowships, prizes, trainee-ships, financing of specific research in areas considered relevant to the development of seismology and its awareness in Gujarat.
- Any other areas, issues, subjects related to seismology, geophysics, geology or related disciplines which the Governing Council of the Institute may decide from time to time.